Something’s missing….

So I’ve been working on my son’s quilt this past week.  It’s okaaaay.  I mean, I love the fabrics he picked out – very vibrant!  I love the pattern – in the books.  But now I’m starting to lay out the quilt top before I piece it together and, I don’t know, I just don’t love it.  I thought the grey would be a nice background to make the colours pop.  It is the perfect shade of grey, it actually shows up in a few of the other fabrics.  I guess there is just a bit too much of it for my liking.  My son’s favourite colour is blue (the vibrant cobalt blue that he picked out) but that isn’t the colour that’s popping on this quilt.  His second favourite colour is yellow (lemon – also the colour he picked out).  I’m thinking I have a few choices…

1. Continue on, finish it and piece a ‘flip side’ of the same quilt that I will like better.

2.  Finish this one in a smaller size and use it for something else.

3. Add in more blue and yellow to throw the balance of the colours.  Saturate it with blue and yellow basically.

Well, what are your thoughts?  I’d love some feedback on this little quandary of mine.

I’ll be linking with Fresh Sewing Day at Lily’s Quilts

This entry was posted in Fabric, quilting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Something’s missing….

1. Mieke Dinkelaar says:

I love the quilt, the only thing I would replace are the reds. When I look at the the quilt, the reds are the first thing I notice, I would add more of that vibrant blue and some green/yellow. Regards Mieke (from the Netherlands)

2. Thank you! I’ll play around with that. It’s hard to see in the pic, but there is a fabric with the blue/green/yellow there too. I’ll try without the red or less of it.

3. Catrin says:

I like it, but if you’re not feeling it maybe you should finish it as it is and move on to something else – life’s too short to be spending it doing things we don’t love x

4. Thank you! I’m leaning this way but I think I’ll play around with it for a bit longer and if I still don’t love it, I’ll move on. You are right, life’s too short!

5. redeemedsheep says:

Mieke has a great idea! Taking out the reds may make it work better for you. =)

6. Thank you! I’ll be playing around with it to see what ‘works’ for me. Your input sure helps!

7. treadlemusic says:

It is really so nice!!!! The red does seem to dominate…..interesting. I would finish it small and do another with a different approach. I’m not one to change that to the backing and make another top. It would make a wonderfully cheerful give-away(?)/charity quilt for a child? It is a successful piecing just not the color(s) focus you hoped for. Hugs……..

8. I’m going to play with it a bit to see if I can tone down the red (omit it) but I may just finish it and start fresh. Thanks for your feedback it really helps me figure it out!

9. treadlemusic says:

Sometimes “fresh eyes” can assist!!!! We’re here for ya!!!!! Hugs……..

10. Thank you! You are right, I like getting another opinion sometimes.

11. treadlemusic says:

Yes, “sometimes”…………..

12. Margaret says:

Did you ask your son’s opinion? If HE loves it I would finish it as is.

13. I did, he’s so sweet! He said he loves everything I make him! So, basically, no help! Lol! I told him I’m thinking of doing something else, he said, “it’s going to be great!” Oh, I love him so!

14. Your pinwheel quilt is gorgeous and I am sure your son will love it! Thank you for the lovely compliments on my blog, Rita! And for the kind congratulations!
    You have become a no reply blogger. So I came over here to thank you! Love the new look of your blog!

15. It’s that darn google plus! I’ll have to fix it. Thanks for letting me know and for the encouragement about the quilt.

16. Karen says:

Hi Rita, I’m visiting from lily’s fresh sewing day. I really like this quilt the way it is so maybe I’m no help at all, but once you get it done you could always do the quilting with a vibrant thread to give it a little extra zing.

17. Hey! I didn’t think of that! Thanks, I’m still debating what I’ll do.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )