Today was a complete play day! I had the day off work and planned on getting this quilt basted and the quilting started.
I did manage to baste it and I started quilting, then ripped it out, then started again and ripped that out and again and again! Instead of getting frustrated, I decided to play a bit instead. I made these…
I may end up giving these as Christmas gifts, but I’m hoping I can make better ones. My main purpose was to try my hand at FMQing. I think the stippling turned out pretty good, the pebbles not so much. Here’s a closer look at the stippling.
I played around with a bunch of ideas on a few extra blocks I made up for just this purpose. I even tried using pounce to outline a stencil I have, but boy that was harder than just going free motion! I also tried the quilting on my Janome but soon realized I really only like it for piecing. I ended up going back to my Juki for the quilting. With this being another king size, the quilt fits in the 8″ throat space better. The Janome only has a 6″ space.
While some of the designs were getting easier and better looking, you couldn’t really see them and it seemed like too much work for not being able to see it. I suppose I could use different thread but then all of my mistakes would show too!
The backs of the test blocks weren’t too bad
the trouble is, I want the piecing to stand out. Also, a couple of my designs started looking too much like cannabis leaves. ;P
So after much ripping of stitches, I decided to go the “safe” route and outline quilt the patterns in the quilt top to accent the piecing. I figured after I get the outlining done, I could try to add a bit of FMQing to the larger empty spaces.
You can’t see it too well, but I did get one star outlined but will go around the inside of the star (echo) a bit to add more interest. Tomorrow should be another play day as I took another day off! Yay for me!