Oh, Deer! Donation Quilts

I’ve finished two crib-sized quilts for donation.  One went to my Soul Sister’s church and the other to my church.  Hopefully they will be able to use them to raise money either with an auction or raffle of some sort.

I pieced both of these together back in the summer…

P1020471

Ahhh, how I wish for those warm days…

This first one was done using a jelly roll of Oh, Deer by Moda and I just sewed the strips together.  Easy-peasy!

IMG_1493

These were WIP’s ever since then.  They went together very quickly and the quilting was really fun too!  I did an alternating wave/loop-de-loop in each of the strips for the strip quilt which I named “Surefooted As a Deer”.

IMG_1494

For the back I used a large piece of yardage from the same line and added strips of Kona Snow to the edges to bring it up to the right width.

P1020694

I even had a decent day for outdoor photo taking!

P1020693

The second quilt I used a charm pack from the Oh, Deer line along with a charm pack of Kona Snow and pieced them together in alternating squares.

P1020601

This one is called “As the Deer Pants for Streams of Water” and I did a spiralling square for the quilting in each square.

IMG_1501

I absolutely love the spiralling squares!  I think I may like the back of the quilt even more because of the quilting.

P1020691

I used another piece of the same yardage but broke it up with a big band of the Kona Snow through the middle.  I think it makes the print pop!

P1020692

Both of these crib quilts are already delivered.

I’m now working on some Kindergarten quilts that I’ll post about later in the week.  I’m linking with my Monday and Tuesday link ups found in my sidebar.

Till next time….Rita

This entry was posted in 2014 Finishes, donation quilts, quilting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Oh, Deer! Donation Quilts

1. Heyes Helen says:

Really sweet quilts. I love the spiral squares, I think I might have to practice that one!

2. It’s a surprisingly easy FMQ technique. It’s fun too! You should totally try it!

3. sdaurio says:

Those are sweet, hope they raise lots of funds

4. treadlemusic says:

Bright and cheerful!!! Love that fabric line and you certainly achieved much with those pieces!!!! Hugs…………………

5. Pre-cuts are great for putting a quilt together! This was the first time I used pre-cuts.

6. treadlemusic says:

Unless I can find a real “deal” on them (Connecting Threads has been my source in the past) I find them too expensive. I will purchase a charm pack, though, to do a quick quilt. Precuts are a wonderful way to get a variety of prints that coordinate w/o having to do it yourself!!!

7. Don’t you just love a simple strip quilt! They come together so nicely!

8. They do cost more, but you are right, I love the coordinating fabric too!

9. Yes! They are fun to make too!

10. treadlemusic says:

Yup…….but once in a while………………………..

11. What sweet quilts and like you….I wonder if warm weather will ever get here!! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

12. terri414cb says:

I love the names you gave the quilts! I have fun naming mine. The back of your quilts are as fun as the fronts! I liked looking at all the different ways you used your fabric. I like your spiraling squares too. Is it hard to keep everything uniform? Do you have difficulty keeping the lines parallel?

13. Thank you! It’s such a great link up!

14. You are so sweet! Actually I find the straight line FMQ easier. I use the edge of my right pointer finger as a visual guide for straight lines. I also have gotten pretty good at estimating 1/2 inch spacing (about the width of my finger). Angela Walters’ Dot to Dot class on Craftsy was a big help. You should give the spiralling squares a try!

15. Linda says:

Love your quilts!

16. Anonymous says:

Wonderful quilts, and again for good causes!

17. Both of these quilts are just too cute, Rita! And for such a worthy cause. Congrats on the beautiful finishes!

18. I usually can’t say no when asked to make a quilt for donation

19. Dasha says:

Both of these are lovely fresh quilts Rita. Well done for getting them finished.

20. Mary Huey says:

They both look very appealing — hope they raise lots of interest and funds!

21. Thank you! Yes I hope they raise lots of money!

22. Rita, what wonderful donation quilts! You did such a lovely job on both of these! 🙂

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

23. Thank you, Lindsey! I’ll do that, thanks for the invite!