After many months of hiding and the occasional sneak peek on Instagram, I can finally reveal the finish of the double-sided quilt, “Two Sides, One Quilt”!
From the first blocks to the finished quilt, this has been a labour of love. I had a bit of trouble with acquiring all the different fabrics. I ended up having to go to Fabric.com and Spoonflower.com to get some of the specialty prints. The exchange to Canadian dollars was a killer! But these quilting sheep, mustaches and cameras were worth it in the end!
Initially, the quilt was going together so easily, I just knew something major was going to happen. It’s always the way! The piecing of side one was easy, and mind-soothingly monotonous. It came at a time that my soul needed some easy piecing to calm the chaos going on in my head, so… perfect timing.
The layout proved to be a bit of a challenge, as my design wall wasn’t big enough for this mammoth quilt, so I moved it to the floor outside my sewing room.
Thank goodness for my quilting frame otherwise, the pin basting would have been another challenge. In the end, I got the front and back of the quilt lined up vertically and horizontally. I don’t think I could have done that without crawling under the quilt to see it from both sides.
I forgot to take photos of the second side during the process, but I did manage to get this shot of how I label my rows before piecing and pressing.
The straight-line quilting was another story! This is where my grief began! We all know the quilt top and bottom shift during the quilting process but with this layout, I didn’t want even the slightest movement. Well, that DIDN’T happen! I ended up ripping out almost as many stitches as I put in! I think I quilted half the quilt, tore it out and started again.
There were a few places where the straight line quilting became a bit wonky from one side to the other. I swear, they line up in most places, but with the shifting (ARGH) it was just too frustrating to worry about.
In the end, I just let it go where it wanted. I have a few extra ‘crinkles’ in the finished quilt after it’s been washed and dried but I’m hoping the family that gets this will learn to love them like well-earned laugh lines.
I did manage to get my corners nicely mitred on my binding! That’s a win! Oh, and I remembered to put a label on… double win!
The one side is based on this quilt (left) from Pinterest. I’m sorry, I can’t give any more info than that as it was pinned from flickr and I can’t find the maker.
(If it’s you, comment below and I’ll edit the post.)
The other side is based on a quilt in a magazine, I think it’s one of Mary Fon’s quilts but I can’t find the magazine and I didn’t write down the quilt pattern.
I’m notorious for seeing quilts and not buying the patterns… sorry quilt designers! I just figure out the math and go from there.
This is a King-sized quilt, measuring 112″ x 112″
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Thread: Aurifil 2600-piecing and quilting
Finally both sides on my bed…
kinda wishing this quilt could stay here for a bit but it will be given in love and appreciation to one of my oldest and dearest friends, Suzie! See you next week, friend!
If any of you want to peek at this in person, we’ll likely have it hiding at the Creativ Festival, Mississauga, Ontario. April 22 & 23, 2016. Stop by booth #345 and ask to see it, I’m sure Suzie will let you pet it… unless she’s curled up in it somewhere.
Till next time…