Season of Change

In Ecclesiastes 3:1-9 we are reminded that there is a time for everything.

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

This is; for me, a season of change.  On New Year’s Eve, my husband informed me he was leaving me (and our 16 year old son) to “be happier” somewhere else.  As an adult, I can accept the fact that sometimes, people grow apart and need to move on to achieve their idea of what happiness is.  As a mother, I find it very hard to accept the circumstances of his leaving.  My son will forever mark New Year’s Eve with a bitter sorrow left behind from his childhood.  As a wife, I am devastated.

I’ve had a bit of time to reflect on the 30 years I spent with a man I thought was my other half.  I’ve had time to weep, mourn, search, give up and hate.  I’ve also had time to laugh, dance, embrace and love.  Now I’m finding time for peace.

I’ve learned a lot about myself in the past two months.  I’ve learned I’m much stronger than I thought I was.  I’m much more resilient than I thought I was.  I’m actually much happier than I thought I was.  I know that sounds strange, under the circumstances, but I think I was going through the motions of being happily married as opposed to actually being happily married.  I’m proof that humans have the capability to fool themselves.

During the past two months, I’ve experienced kindnesses from others that are nearly unfathomable.  Family, friends and neighbours have surrounded me in love and support.   From having a neighbour plow snow from my driveway to receiving the best hugs from a dear friend, I’ve appreciated every act of kindness they have given.  Each person has reinforced the fact that I am loved and I am worthy.  This is a fact we all need to remember.

I’ve been able to lean (heavily at times) on so many people, that what I’m going through feels completely manageable.  I’ve been able to reconnect with old friends and laugh like a young girl.  I’ve been experiencing new adventures almost every day.  I’ve been drawing closer to my son and building a bond that I didn’t think could get stronger.  At 16 years old, I realize I don’t have a whole lot of time left to spend each and every day with him before he goes out into the world.  I am appreciating the young man he is growing into.  I watch him navigate this difficult time in his life with strength and integrity and I know, someday, he’ll be okay.  He’ll learn to trust again.  We both will.

I look to my future now, not with acceptance of what was expected of me, but with anticipation of what life could be!  It’s thrilling to have a vast horizon before me with endless possibilities.  I feel reborn, refreshed and ready to live the second half of my life with gratitude, generosity and grace.  I’m ready for anything… I’m ready for everything.

Till next time…

Rita

This entry was posted in quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Season of Change

1. jonaismith says:

Rita, I am so sorry that you are experiencing this but so inspired by your faith. God bless you and your boy ❤
    Jo-Anne

2. Jannette B. says:

I’m so sorry to read this Rita – but happy for you that you’re finding brighter days ahead. You and your son will be in my prayers.

3. anita.tuerk says:

Wow! Great post! Baring your life with kindness & true insight. I’m so glad you’re finding happiness, real happiness, with others & with yourself. Love you sister! XO Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

4. Liz says:

Hey Rita, sorry to hear of this. You are an amazing woman, who has a joy that does not waver- even through this. May you continue to grow strong through this.

5. northernsue says:

I admire your strength & courage & wish you well on your new journey! Can’t lose with a son & a dog!

6. Anonymous says:

Lovely Rita, maybe writing should be in your future, you do it so eloquently.
    I always enjoyed your posts and was sure to mention to your customers at the trade shows to ,” read her blogs, they are always entertaining “. Does the period go before or after the quotation marks? Lol

I know that whatever you decide to do you will succeed, that’s the person you are.
    A doer, a succeeder, (did I just invent a new word )? A “getter done ” gal. Haha

I don’t know Lucas well, but he has your blood running through his veins and with your guidance and support I’m pretty sure he’ll be just fine in time.

Be well my sister/friend , you know I love you.

Suzie xo

7. Dear Rita. I am a fellow vendor. You are the sixth person I know of that has had this happen to them out of the blue. It sounds like you are coping but it cannot be easy. I wish you all the best.

8. ritaferber says:

Thanks so much Catherine. It’s been a learning experience. I look forward to seeing you at shows as a fellow vendor or as a customer.

9. ritaferber says:

Sweet Suzie! Thank you so much for your encouragement and love over all the years we’ve known each other. You are an inspiration to me. Hopefully, I’ll see you soon, dear sister.

10. ritaferber says:

Sue,
    Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement. You’re right! I can’t lose with a son (especially like mine 😉 ) and my dog (soon to add another). Thanks for joining me in my journey.

11. ritaferber says:

Liz, I have enjoyed our friendship over the years, you have been a blessing to me. Your family is so kind and generous and fun to be around. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Send my love to all!

12. ritaferber says:

Thanks, sister! I probably don’t say it often enough but… I love you! I’m glad we’ve been able to do life together.

13. ritaferber says:

Jannette,
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. My days have become brighter and my future so exciting. There is always good to be found if we look for it.

14. ritaferber says:

Joanne, Thank you so much for your kind words. God has been carrying me through this part of my walk. I lean heavily on his strength and trust in his Glory. Thank you for your blessings.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w